MSME Degree Policy and Procedures

Plan II (Project)


Table of Contents

1.        Requirements and Procedures

2.        Time Limit for Completion of Degree

3.        Summary of Course Requirements

4.        Initial Advisement

5.        Seminar Requirement

6.        Committee-on-Studies

7.        Committee-on-Studies Chairperson

8.        Other Members of the Committee-on-Studies

9.        M.S. Program Planning and Approval

10.   Program of Studies

11.   Project Course

12.   Notification of the Intent to Graduate


Requirements and Procedures

The student should carefully study the section in the UNM Catalog under "The Graduate Program." It is ultimately the student's responsibility to see that these requirements are satisfied.


Time Limit for Completion of Degree

All work used to meet degree requirements for a master's degree, including transfer credit, must be completed within a seven-year period immediately preceding the granting of the degree. Course work older than seven years cannot be used to meet requirements for the master's degree.


Summary of Course Requirements

The following are the course requirements for the MSME degree, Plan II. Some of these requirements are dictated by the UNM Catalog and additional ones are required by the ME department.

A minimum of 34 semester hours is required.

A minimum of 24 hours of 500-level courses that may include ME 559.

A minimum of 18 hours of coursework in Mechanical Engineering, that may include ME 551, 552 and/or 559. Four courses will comprise the Mechanical Engineering Graduate Core.

Three (3) semester hours of ME 559 Design Project are required; no more than three (3) hours of ME 559 may be included in the Program of Studies.

A maximum of three hours of Problems courses (ME 551 or ME 552) may be included.

Comments on Problems courses (ME 551 or ME552) - Since any Incomplete ("I") grade in ME 559 course must be converted to a regular grade within one year of receiving it, students who are performing the initial ME 559 research work may take these "Problems" courses in lieu of registering for ME 559. When taken for this purpose, these courses may be repeated as many times as needed, as long as they are taken as CR/NC mode of grading. However, credit hours earned for these courses (and similar research-type courses from other UNM graduate programs) are not counted towards the minimum 34 hours of coursework needed for graduation (see above). Obviously, the student's effort will be reflected in the ME 559 credit hours that he/she eventually takes before graduation. On the other hand, if the student is genuinely working on some topic of mutual interest unrelated to his/her ME 559 research with their advisor or another professor, the student may take the ME 551 or ME 552 courses that will count toward the satisfaction of the MSME degree requirements. Examples of activities that may justify such credits would be an independent study work, efforts to obtain patents on inventions, etc. The student's report of these activities shall be filed in his/her ME academic folder and scrutinized at the time of submitting the Program of Studies to the OGS for approval. In these reports the student must clearly document why the corresponding activity is separate from his/her ME 559 research.

A maximum of 12 hours of graduate level courses in non-degree status may be applied to the course requirements.

At least 24 hours must be completed in residence at the University of New Mexico.

Zero (0) + One (1) hour Seminar [ME 591(fall), ME 592(spring)] . See Seminar Requirement.


Initial Advisement

The student must meet with the ME Director of Graduate Programs before the initial registration, and work out a program of studies for the first semester. Any courses that do not receive prior approval of an academic advisor may be disallowed. During the first semester, the student must obtain the agreement of an ME faculty member to serve as Academic Advisor, and submit an Advisor Approval Form to the ME Program Advisement Coordinator. This faculty member normally, but not always, becomes the Chair of the Committee-on-Studies.


Seminar Requirement

MSME students must have one hour of seminar credit on their program. The student shall register for ME 591/592 for two semesters while attending the seminars. The first semester the student may register for zero credit hours. The second semester the student must register for one credit hour. The grade will be CR/NC, based upon attendance. Presenting a seminar on campus will count for attendance at two seminar sessions.

For attendance requirements, please CLICK HERE.



The Committee-on-Studies shall be composed of at least three members; at least two members shall be full-time, tenure-stream, UNM Mechanical Engineering faculty members. Approval of the Committee must be obtained using the Committee-on-Studies Proposal Form.


Committee-on-Studies Chairperson

The student should select a Committee-on-Studies Chairperson as early as possible, preferably during the first semester in residence. The Committee Chairperson must be a full-time, tenure-steam, UNM Mechanical Engineering faculty member. The Chairperson will also serve as the instructor of the student's project course (ME 559).


Other Members of the Committee-on-Studies

The remainder of the Committee should be chosen by consultation between the Chairperson of the Committee-on-Studies and the student. Approval for non-UNM faculty committee members must be obtained from the ME Director of Graduate Programs and Office of Graduate Studies.


M.S. Program Planning and Approval

The Chair of the Committee-on-Studies shall have the responsibility to advise the student in planning the student's program. Approval of the MSME Program of Studies is then required by the ME Director of Graduate Programs.


Program of Studies

The Program of Studies Form should be submitted before the following OGS deadlines: July 1 for a Fall graduation, October 1 for a Spring graduation, and March 1 for a Summer graduation. Failure to submit this form on time will delay your graduation. ME Department will require some time to review and approve the form; so, you must submit the form to the ME Director of Graduate Programs at least two weeks before the above OGS deadlines. Changes in an approved program must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies by a memorandum from the student with approval by the ME Director of Graduate Programs.


Project Course

Project Report
The project shall be reported in written form and in English. The report should contain all the elements of a thorough engineering report including: abstract, introduction, review of pertinent literature and of related recent investigations, description of project, presentation and discussion of results, conclusions, recommendations, and references.

Project Presentation and Master's Examination
The project report shall be provided to the Committee-on-Studies at least two weeks before the scheduled project presentation, which normally serves as the Master's Examination. The Mechanical Engineering Program Advisement Coordinator must also be notified of the time and location of the examination at least three weeks prior to it. The Master's (Plan II) examination shall usually consist of a presentation of the research work by the student and an oral examination by the Committee-on-Studies. Results of the examination must be reported to the Office of Graduate Studies, on the Report of Examination form provided, by November 15, April 15, or July 15, in order for the student to graduate in the Fall, Spring, or Summer semester, respectively.

Students on Probation
Students having a GPA of less than 3.0 are not permitted to take the Master's examination. If the project course ME 559 is to be the grade which raises the GPA to 3.0, the project presentation and Master's examination must be separate events.


Notification of Intent to Graduate

The student must submit the Notification of Intent to Graduate Form to the ME Program Advisement Coordinator before the deadlines shown on the form. Failure to submit this form on time will delay your graduation. Students must be enrolled in a graduate course in the semester of graduation. If all other course work is completed, one (1) hour of ME 551 or 552 may be taken (as a CR/NC course). Students should not register for ME 559 (3 hours) more than once.


Manual of Graduate Studies | ME Graduate Programs Home | UNM Office of Graduate Studies Home